Primary Liability Insurance
- Your primary liability will be the major cost for your trucking insurance policy. Although the FMCAS can only require $750,000 in most cases shippers will require $1,000,000 in primary liability insurance coverage before they will allow you to pick up loads.
- Primary liability insurance covers damages to third parties for bodily injury and physical damage to others property in the event of an accident.
- In most cases this is a low cost add on to your primary liability insurance to cover medical expenses.
PIP – Personal Injury Protection
- Some states require this coverage and, in many cases, can reduce the need for Medical Pay.
- Personal injury protection (PIP), also known as no-fault insurance, covers medical expenses and lost wages of you and your passengers if you’re injured in an accident. PIP coverage protects you regardless of who is at fault.
- If you’re hit by a driver with no insurance…
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) may pay medical bills for both you and your passengers.
- Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) may pay for damage to your vehicle.
- If you’re hit by a driver with not enough insurance…
- Underinsured motorist bodily injury (UIMBI) may pay medical bills for both you and your passengers
- Underinsured motorist property damage (UIMPD) may pay for damage to your vehicle